The risk of car accidents is particularly high during the first few months of getting a driving license.
As such, teenage car accidents in Alexandria Louisiana are more common than regular car accidents.
These accidents are not always a result of irresponsibility or inattention, however. Sometimes, teenage car accidents occur simply due to a lack of experience.
Being new drivers, teen drivers are statistically more likely to underestimate hazardous situations than adult drivers and may not recognize the possibility of a dangerous situation until it’s too late.
In this blog, we’ll take a look at some of the main causes of teen driving accidents and how to help your teen make good decisions and avoid these types of accidents.
Common Causes of Teenage Car Accidents
A variety of factors can cause teenage car accidents, including poor road conditions, car defects, etc.
However, statistics have shown that most teenage car accidents are caused by distracted driving. And unfortunately, in this day and age, there are more distractions than ever. Some of the main distractions for teenagers include:
- Phone calls and text messages
- Smartphone applications and music
- Interaction with other passengers
- Personal grooming
- General lack of focus
Other causes of teenage car accidents include:
- Speeding. Speeding can cause car accidents in all age brackets. In the case of teen drivers, though, their lack of experience may compound the issue. As such, the lack of experience combined with speeding can cause some of the worst injuries and crashes.
- Driving under the influence. Teenagers driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs not only face charges for underage drinking, but they also put themselves, their passengers, and other road users at risk.
- Forgetting to buckle up. Using seat belts saves lives. However, it has been shown that teenagers use seat belts less often than other age groups. As a parent, you need to remind your teen drivers of the importance of seat belts, and how most fatal crashes involve drivers that did not buckle up.
- Inexperience. Teen drivers are still improving their driving skills, and may not have the increased muscle memories and reflexes of adult drivers. Be consistent in enforcing proper permit hours, and take the time to ride with your teen driver while they learn in driver’s education.
- Drowsy driving. Falling asleep while driving is one thing, but driving when drowsy even if the teen manages to stay awake can affect their judgment and alertness. Any delay in their capacity to react to danger could result in a crash. As a parent, you should make sure that your teen driver gets enough sleep before they hit the road.
- Texting and driving. Another major cause of teenage car accidents is texting and driving. As a parent, you can combat this problem by establishing a strict “no phone use in the car” policy.
How To Avoid Teenage Car Accidents in Alexandria Louisiana
As a teenager, driving is not just a privilege, but a serious responsibility as well.
By taking responsibility while driving, teen drivers not only keep themselves from harm, but also their families, the passengers in their cars, and other road users.
A few tips that can be implemented to avoid teenage car accidents:
- Take a driver’s education course.
- Obey all traffic laws, signs, and signals.
- Do not drive while intoxicated. Also, avoid getting in a car with someone that has been drinking. And don’t forget that drinking alcohol under the age of 21 is illegal.
- Take additional care in severe weather conditions. Drive way below the speed limit.
- Do not use your smartphone while driving. If there’s a need to contact anyone, park the car and make the call or send a text.
- Pull over when drowsy.
- Use a seat belt at all times
Contact An Experienced Alexandria Teen Driving Accident Attorney
Even if your teen follows all of these tips, accidents can still happen. But trying to navigate the insurance and legal system on your own can be frustrating, especially after your teen has been involved in a car accident. Allow the attorneys at Jones Law Firm to help you get through this difficult time.